Each year, after the conclusion of the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference, we send out an electronic survey to all attendees so they can share their thoughts about the weekend. Following are just some of the comments attendees provided after our 2016 conference, which was a celebration of the Pulitzer Awards' 100th anniversary. As part of our honoring the Pulitzer legacy, our keynote speakers and speaker panels were packed with Pulitzer winners and finalists, who each discussed their work and enlightened our attendees.
If you've been to the conference before, please join us again this year. If we haven't had the pleasure of your attendance, these previous attendees' comments should give you a feel for our conference experience. For more information, click on the ‘Conference and Competitions’ tab above.
• Gilbert King’s message was timely and illuminating. He came across as down-to-earth and delivered a wonderful presentation.
• These presenters were by far the strongest field that I have seen at Mayborn. Although the other 9 or 10 conferences that I have attended were very strong, every session this year was of outstanding quality. The stories, the craft lessons, the persons of the presenters this year were a cut above what has always been a strong program. Thank you!
• Jacqui – wow. Bring her back as often as possible, please. I was so pleased to hear from Jacqui, Lane, Sara Ganim, Jennifer Berry Hawes, Margo Jefferson and Carol Guzy and other amazing female journalists. Thank you for bringing in so many powerhouse women writers. I hope that trend continues. As a female journalist, it’s so encouraging and inspiring to see other women doing the work that made me want to devote my life to this craft.
• The Mayborn Conference is an inspiring, summer party for writers and lovers of the written word. Go to have your creativity and your muse refreshed. Go to find people with whom you can connect with ideas and share your love for writing and reading good books. Everyone who loves the power of words used well is welcome.
• The Mayborn provides the greatest affirmation of the importance of journalism and story telling in a democracy. It is the epitome of the education that underlies the role of citizen in the United States.
• Terrific thought leaders in the world of non-fiction narrative.
• Amazingly stimulating, informative and relevant.
• The single best place on the planet to be for any aspiring non-fiction writer.
• The Mayborn is a congenial and professional conference to expand and explore the craft of writing nonfiction narratives - and have a helluva good time doing it.
• By far and away, the Mayborn is the best conference of any type that I have ever attended. It is a brilliant concept to keep us all together through meetings and meals rather than have breakout sessions and leave for meals.
• The Mayborn provides a supportive environment for writers of all levels of experience. It gives everyone a chance to see what is current and upcoming in the world of writing.